Print Page | Close Window

Which Visa?

Printed From: RainbowNation
Category: Moving to South Africa
Forum Name: Relocation to South Africa
Forum Discription: Please post any messages relating to relocation (lifestyle, visa requirements etc) to South Africa.
Printed Date: 22 Aug 2014 at 8:52am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.06 -

Topic: Which Visa?
Posted By: Acjumina
Subject: Which Visa?
Date Posted: 07 Sep 2008 at 12:10pm
Hi there,

I'm engaged to a South African and we are planning on moving back to SA mid of next year. Our wedding will be at the end of 2009.

My problem is that I have no idea which visa to choose. Shall I go for a fiancee visa or for a temporary residence permit, a life partner permit... ? Also, I need to be able to work and I think I'll have to apply for a work permit separately?

I was thinking of maybe using an agency but I'm not too sure....

Could someone advise, please? There is so much information on the internet and the only thing it did was to confuse me even more.

Please help!

Many thanks in advance!!

Posted By: dee464
Date Posted: 23 Sep 2008 at 4:38pm
I see you posted this a few weeks ago so just in case you haven't sorted it out yet I thought I'd let you know which visa I went with.
I also had a nightmare trying to figure out which visa was best until it came time to actually apply and I found that the most hassle free (and easiest one to get granted!) is the spousal visa.  With a spousal visa it's valid for 2 years (recently changed from 1) and you can work as long as you take along an offer letter and copy of your CV - beleive me, it's much easier than trying to apply for a work permit!  Also, if you haven't got a job yet you can still get your spousal visa and go back with your offer letter and CV to have the visa updated at a later date.
What you will need to apply is the following:
Your passport and it must have at least 2 years left on it (the length of the visa)
A copy of your fiancees ID
A letter of support from your fiancee
A notorial contract and sworn affidavit
Proof of Financial means and history of the relationship (I've never needed these in SA but offically you are meant to have them)
Offer of employment and CV if you intend to work.
Radiological and medical report
Police Clearance certificate
Now with regards to the notorial contract - this is literally a 2 page document you can get from any immigration lawyer stating that you are in a relationship, have been for X amount of years and are living together.  It's very simple and is accepted should you not be married.  The affidavit says much the same thing but that will be given to you at Home Affairs when you go in to apply - just make sure you sign it in front of a Commissioner of Oaths that they should have at Home Affairs as well.
The radiological and medical report are forms that Home Affairs will give you - the medical report you literally get your GP to sign (to say you're not mental or have VD!) but the radiological report you will have to take to an xray department at your local hospital.  They will do an x-ray of your chest (to check you don't have TB!) sign the form and send you on your way!  With regards to the police clearance you may not have to do that wherever you are, I have to get SA clearance everytime I renew my visa, but seeing as you're not in the country they may not need it, or may ask for clearance from your country of origin.
I know it seems alot but most of the forms you will get from Home Affairs and this is nowhere near as much paperwork as all the other visas.  I would suggest that you make your first visit to Home Affairs early next year to get the forms you need.  From there you'll have a few months to organise yourself (it doesn't take long, i've done it in days before) and then you can get your visa to start a few days before you leave.  Just remember your fiancee will have to go with you when you visit Home Affairs and take copies of absolutely everything including the photo page in your passport and your fiancees ID.  Another thing is that you can stay on this visa after you are married - they recognise the notorial contact as a marriage so you won't need to change anything.  You can't get permanant residence until you can prove you've been together for over 5 years (by a marriage certificate or affidavit) and in the meantime the spousal visa is a pretty good temporary measure!
Good luck and let me know if you need anymore help!

Posted By: Acjumina
Date Posted: 25 Sep 2008 at 7:02pm
Thanks so much! Your message helps a lot!!!

Posted By: Amy
Date Posted: 04 Feb 2009 at 11:35am
How is your immigration process going? I hope its all going smoothly for you :)
I am in the process of applying for a life partner (spousal visa) to join my fiance who is living in SA. Im slowly getting the paperwork together but am completely stuck on the notorial contract... where did you manage to get yours from? Im trying to find companies in the UK that can help me but seem to be getting no-where. I'd be really really really grateful of any advice/help you can give me.

Many thanks, Amy

Posted By: dee464
Date Posted: 04 Feb 2009 at 1:43pm
Hi Amy,
I've actually been in SA for many years now and am on the 2 year spousal visa which I just keep renewing so there's no problems with it!
I got my notorial contract from a South African immigration attorney as I was already in the country when i applied for the spousal visa.  Have you tried immigration firms that specialise in emigrating to SA??  Reason I ask is because the Home Affairs staff over here are alot more relaxed than Home Affairs in the UK and if you source your notorial contract from here it may not be accepted over there.  Any immigration lawyer should be able to draw one up for you - it's full title is 'Notarial Agreement of Cohabitation' as I mentioned before, it is only a few pages long.  I can't remember the lawyer I got it from here but if you get really stuck I can see if I can dig it out!
Also, something I didn't mention in my last post was not to panic if it's time to leave and you don't have your visa.  You'll be given a 3 month visitors visa automatically with a British passport as long as you have a return ticket (which you need anyway, even with a spousal visa - passport control are very strange about that and it doesn't make any sense at all!).  You can also renew that visitors visa once before you have to leave the country which gives you 6 months to sort your spousal visa which is more than enough time.  Home Affairs are notoriously bad here for residents but the visa section are highly organised and will have your visa back to you very quickly (they've given mine back to me the same day as application before) should you have all your paperwork in order.
Let me know if you want to get your notorial contract from here and I'll see if I can find that attorneys details.
Good Luck! 

Posted By: Amy
Date Posted: 04 Feb 2009 at 1:49pm
Thank you so much for your reply. I have employed a company to help me with my case, but they are being extremely unhelpful and basically told me to get all my paperwork together and then they will help me, so I have been feeling a little lost! I wanted to sort the visa out before I went to SA because i thought it would be easier, but its actually proving very complicated and expensive. Im so grateful of you help and advice, its nice to talk to someone who has "been there, done that". I am due to visit SA in April for a two week holiday, so may get a few bit sorted out while I am there. Did you have to have a radiological report done? If I have one done in the UK it costs £90, but Im thinking it may be cheaper in SA... how much did yours cost?
Many thanks Amy
p.s. what part of SA are you living in?

Posted By: Acjumina
Date Posted: 04 Feb 2009 at 6:50pm
Hi you two,

I'm busy sorting out all the paperwork for my visa application. My fiancee and I are going to leave at the beginning of July this year so will probably apply in May for my visa.

I started to look for immigration lawyers here in the UK but had no time to check with them yet regarding the notorial contract. As soon as I know more I'll let you know Amy.

I didn't know that I will still have to have a return ticket even with a valid visa in my passport....

I was in contact with global visa as well but when I found out that I have to organise all the paperwork by myself I decided to apply without an agency's help.

By the way, I believe I have to provide bank statements from the last three months as well. Do you know how much money I will need to have in my account in order to satisfy the requirements?

Thanks a lot!


Posted By: Amy
Date Posted: 04 Feb 2009 at 7:30pm
I managed to find a template document that sets out the "cohabitation agreement". It was free to downlaod and reads nicely and very clearly, if I had had a lawyer to draft one for me it would have cost me £60! Your welcome to a copy of it Acjumina.

I was dupped by the immigration lawyer into thinking that I could do all the paperwork while I was in the UK. I had explained that I was in the UK while my fiance was in SA so they knew our situation when they took on my case, yet they have sent me two documents that need to be signed while we are both present infront of a lawyer!! Its proving much more expensive to do all the paperwork while I am in the UK. My medical with my GP cost £110 which would have been much cheeper to do in SA. A private radiological report is also nearly £90, Im sure that will be cheeper in SA too.

Had I known what I know now, I would no way have paid an immigration lawyer to help me, its a waste of money! You are better off doing it alone. I have copies of all the documents you will need to fill in if you would like a copy of them.

I didn't know about needing a return flight either, I hoped I could go one way as long as I could prove I had the finances to buy me a ticket home again. I have £2000 in savings, but i only get a quarterly bank statement, I hope that will be enough.

I wish I had found you guys earlier, you have been so much more helpful that the visa company I am paying £750 to!

I will gladly give you my email address Acjumina and pass on all the info I manage to find out.

Take care both of you x

Posted By: Acjumina
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2009 at 1:39pm

Does anyone of you know how much the application fee is if one applies in SA? Can't find it anywhere.....


Posted By: philipmcauley
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2009 at 8:11am

Hello There

I'm applying for a temporary residency permit need to get a radiological report too.  The cheapest place I can find is £200!  Amy, you mention £90, I'd love to know where you are getting yours done!  I live in London. 

I'm also paying £750 to a visa comany - a very expensive process!
Any help would be really appreciated!

Posted By: Amy
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2009 at 8:17am
Hi, I telephoned the private medical company BMI, I know that they have hospitals all over the uk. Have a look at the website to find one near you. When I called them they said it would cost £89 for an xray, and then that x-ray is sent to your GP for a report (I think). I think it may cost a little extra for your dr to write a report but it may still work out cheaper than £200. Best of luck!

Posted By: Elissa Davie
Date Posted: 17 Mar 2009 at 1:04pm
Hi there.

I work for an immigration company in South Africa. You could consider flying into South Africa on a visitor's visa first.

Check the length of permit that your country's nationals are given for visiting South Africa. Most foreigners are usually given 90 day visitor permits but some countries are only given 1 month etc.

Also, check if your country is visa exempt eg: anyone from the UK can just arrive at the airport and get their passports stamped with a visitor's visa on arrival. But some countries have to obtain visas from the South African embassies abroad, before they can enter South Africa.

Once you are in South Africa, on your visitor's permit, you can actually extend this ONCE ie: you will be issued with an additional 90 days (or however long your first permit was). Then you may change to another permit whilst in South Africa, as long as you can meet the necessary criteria.

If you have a South African spouse or life partner, you may apply for a Section 11(6) of the Immigration Act ie: an SA Life Partner/Spousal Visa. If you are married, the marriage certificate makes life much easier. However, if you have a life partner, you need to prove co-habitation for at least 6 months. There is an affidavit that you are required to complete too (amongst other things) which states that you are in a Life Long relationship with your partner. This sworn affidavit can be done at a police station in South Africa.

Indeed you will need to get a large portion of your information together yourself, as unfortunately an agent does not have access to all of your personal documents. However, we will provide you with a Memorandum outlining exactly what you require, along with application forms; affidavit forms; template letters where possible and we will assist you with the process. Once you have got your documents together, we will collate the application and submit on your behalf. We will then follow up with the Department of Home Affairs on the progress of your application and once it has been finalised, we will arrange to take your passport in for endorsement of the permit.

If you are interested in having us assist you with your application. Please feel free to email me: You can visit our website

With best wishes,


Posted By: lizzikemp
Date Posted: 22 Mar 2009 at 11:47am
hey, i live in the uk and my boyffriend in south african.
his visa ran out so he moved back to SA. i went there for 3 months but came home to earn some more pounds and i plan to go back on  alife partner visa. i just dont know where to start. what do i need to get together ant how do i go about getting the actual visa? i have a return flight booked back to SA but have no ticket to return back to the UK.

please help me, had a very stressful day.
 thank you
lizzi x

Posted By: Kristina
Date Posted: 22 Mar 2009 at 1:17pm
Hello everyone,
It's reassuring to discover that I'm not alone in this...
My partner lives in SA and I'm planning to apply for a SA Life Partner Visa & move there in June/July.
I was going to employ Global Visa but after reading your comments I decided against it. So thank you for that!!
After reading the discussion I figured that the easiest way to apply for a Life Partner Visa is whilst in the country. Firstly because it's cheaper and secondly because I'm is more likely to be granted one. So I might follow that route.
Nevertheless I'm still planning to go to the Home Office in the UK and collect all the paperwork. I was reding about 'Notarial Agreement of Cohabitation' and one of you ladies seems to have found a template on line. Any chance you could share the link to the website you have downloaded this from?
Many thanks,

Posted By: Elissa Davie
Date Posted: 23 Mar 2009 at 10:07am
Hi Lizzi

In order to qualify for an SA Life Partner permit, you must be able to prove you have been cohabiting for a least 6 months.

If you have been living together in the UK then the Notarial Contract is a useful document to have. As this document is an "Official’ document from and recognised by the country of issue eg: the UK, South Africa is obliged to reciprocate ie: recognise this document. So, when you apply for an SA Life Partner permit, you may submit the NOTARIAL CONTRACT as proof of the period that you and your partner were recognized as an item.

You can always enter South Africa on a Visitor's Permit initially which as you know is stamp in your passport on arrival. Then once in South Africa, you can change your permit to a SA Life Partner Permit.

You and your partner will need to prove financial sustainability and as long as you can do that, there should be no need for return tickets. However, you may well need one if you arrive on a visitor's permit.

You can always try do your SA life partner application before you arrive, through the Embassy.

Otherwise, by all means, let me know if we can assist you when you get here (we can even assist you whilst with your application abroad).

Make sure you bring your unabridged birth certificate with you to SA and proof of divorce/official separation or death certificate if you have been married previously to another partner; police clearance certificates, and a letter from a close friend of yours confirming knowledge of existence and duration of the relationship (with a certified copy of their passport if possible).

Feel free to contact me again, if we can assist you with your application.

PS: Just a quick note - I am not from the Visa company which is referred to here in this forum. I am from Global Migration SA - visit

With best wishes,

Posted By: Kristina
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2009 at 7:50pm
Hi Elissa,
Thank you for the comments you have posted on this forum, they are very useful & will definitely check out your website.
I was wondering, if it is possible to arrive in South Africa with a visitor's permit (I'm Italian, so don't need a visa) and then to apply for the general work permit when I'm in the country?
I read your comments regarding the Life Partner Visa and that it is possible to get one in South Africa. Does it work the same way for the general work permit?
Many thanks

Posted By: Rebecca
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2009 at 1:56pm
Hi there,
I am also moving to SA this year, my partner and I have been living together here for the last two and a half years and now he wants to be back in SA and of course so do I.
I have done so much research and always end up more confused. I have decided not to use an agency, because I can't figure out what they actually do for you?
I have my radiology report it cost £72 at At Queen Marys Hospital in Roehampton towards Richmond. I would recommend them as I walked straight in, paid them, was seen straight away and given my report and x ray on disc all with in the hour. It is a good idea to go to your doctor first and ask them to give you a referal document though - although I don't think this is essential.
I am trying to sort out my affidavit, I downloaded this: -
Does anyone know if this is right?
I didn't realise we had to show bank accounts, but we do have tenancy agreements, shared bills and so forth. I need my police clearance, but have also downloaded the form and should get it back soon.
Does anyone think it is better to apply from SA? I am getting worried that I might get issued with the wrong visa and there are a couple of companies out there that want to meet me for work, I am wondering if it is worth a trip to meet with them and sort my visa?
Also should I go to South Africa house by appointment and collect the forms? Or can I just print the temporary residency from the website? Does my partner have to come with me?
Also I called my doctor and asked for a medical report and they didn't know what I meant. Do I need to get a form for them to fill in?
Sorry for so many questions, it is just so confusing and I am desperate to get this sorted soon!
Best wishes,


Posted By: Hunni_Bee
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2009 at 6:27am
Hi there
Does anyone know where I can obtain a notarial agreement from? I have been quoted R3000 from one legal company and I cannot afford this. I'm from South Africa and my partner (who is from the UK) are applying for a life partner visa.
Thanks so much!

Posted By: Elissa Davie
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2009 at 7:03am
Hi Kristina

Thanks for your question re: General Work Permits. Yes, you may enter South Africa on a visitor's visa and then change to a General Work Permit once in South Africa.

Are you aware of the requirements for a General Work Permit? You may not apply for one without a secure job offer, in the first instance.

The position you are applying for should be advertised in a National Newspaper and the advert must meet the requirements of the Department of Home Affairs.

You will be required to submit your SAQA certificate (South African Qualifications Association) with your application for your work permit and SAQA takes a few weeks to obtain. (So you must bring with you to South Africa, a copy of your highest Qualification Certificate and transcripts thereof).

You will be required to obtain a Benchmarking Certificate to confirm your salary is equivalent to that of a South African in a similar position.

Besides these, you must be able to prove you have the qualifications, skills and experience in line with the job offer and you must be able to motivate why you are a more appropriate candidate than a South African applying for the position.

You will be working against the clock whilst on your visitor's permit, so you should start working on your job search and application as soon as you arrive ie: apply for SAQA immediately, or even before you arrive.

You are allowed to extend a visitor's visa once, so you may need to do this to buy yourself time.

There are other work permits available too, depending on your qualification, skills and experience eg: Quota work permits, Exceptional Skills Work Permits.

Let me know if we can assist you further.

With best wishes,


Posted By: Elissa Davie
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2009 at 7:46am
Dear Rebecca

I am just responding quickly to your last post. I note your statement re: not having an understanding of what Immigration Practitioner Agents do. I thought I would give you a brief run down on how we function.

You may or may not be aware that the Department of Home Affairs in South Africa has in the past been notorious for its poor service. Naturally, they are trying to improve things and the government is investing finance to try get it better organised and is eliminating any corruption it stumbles upon. So with this in mind, many people would rather pay an agent to do the work for them, rather than spending 2 or 3 days in the Department of Home Affairs trying to establish what the best options for them are. As I say, the Department is improving, so all credit to them, it is not as chaotic as it was but they have a long path ahead.
Even I, as a South African, paid an agency to obtain my ID book for me, after 3 attempts to try get it sorted out myself, with no luck.

An Immigration Practitioner has a better understanding of the Immigration Act than the General Man in the Street and hence can advise accordingly. And the Department of Home Affairs is aware that the Immigration Practitioner has a good knowledge of the law and as long as we submit a complete application they do not give us quite the same runaround as they may someone else.

Re: what we actually do....
1) We offer a free consultation:
During this consultation we will assess you whole situation, look at your CV, establish whether any immediate family is coming with you etc.
Once we have established the facts, we can then advise what your options are. Some people have several options.

2) We will then offer you a quotation to assist and represent you with your application.

3) If you are happy with the quote, you will let us know and we will issue you with a tax invoice.

4) Once you have made payment, we will issue you with a Memorandum which will explain exactly what is required for your application. We will issue you with templates and forms etc to make the process easier. With many letters, you will be required to simply print them off and enter the missing information. Naturally, you can contact us at any time should you be having difficulty with getting your information together.

5)We will then meet again, to check that your documents are present and correct.

6)Your application will then be passed onto our processing team who will then collate and document your application and make sure everything adds up.

7)We will then submit your application on your behalf.

8) The Department of Home Affairs is then entitled to 30 working days to consider your application (Embassies abroad may be faster but it varies from Embassy to Embassy). (If you are in South Africa and your current permit expires in this time, you may remain in South Africa until you get a result, as long as your application was submitted before your current permit expires - Preferably 30 days before it expires).

9) We will then follow up with the Department of Home Affairs on a weekly basis, as the time to finalisation draws near and will inform you once you application has been finalised.

10) As long as you are in a City where we have an office, we can take your passport for endorsement for you. However, if we do not have offices there, you will need to take your own passport in for endorsement. We have offices, in Durban, Cape Town, Johannesburg, Pretoria, and Knysna.

11) We then keep you on record and when the time draws near for your new permit to expire, we will notify you of this, so that you can decide whether you intend to renew it or change to another permit or...?

In summary, we do the work and the runaround, and take on the stress, and you as the client, rest on your laurels and wait for an outcome.

I hope that gives you a better idea of our role.

With best wishes,


Global Migration SA

Ps: we have all the correct medical and radiological forms and affidavits etc, but unfortunately I do not have permission to give them out unless a client has engaged our services. Sorry!

Posted By: philipmcauley
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2009 at 9:15am


I was told that entering on the premise of going on holiday and then applying for a visa whilst out there is only legal if it is a genuine case of a change in circumstance.  If you plan on doing this and get caught you can end up in real trouble as it is basically treated as entering via deception.  The immigration act actually confirms this, I found a copy of the act online.  I am applying before we go and am using Global Visas, its a lot of money, but I suppose at least you have peace of mind :)

I managed to find a radiologist for £50 in London - City Radiologists in London Wall.  I had to get referred by my doctor and this wasn't a problem at all.
Good luck

Posted By: Elissa Davie
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2009 at 12:34pm
For further information on Immigration Matters for South Africa, feel free to contact me at Global Migration SA.

With best wishes,

Elissa Davie
Regional Co-ordinator, KZN Division

Office Suite 3C
3rd Floor, Royal Palm Hotel
6 Palm Boulevard
Umhlanga Newtown Centre, 4320

Tel: 031 576 0368
Cell: 082 307 3204
Fax to Email: 0865 102 574

Posted By: Acjumina
Date Posted: 25 Apr 2009 at 4:20pm
Hi there guys,

Just a quickquestion. I have all my documents together now and are ready to apply for my visa here in the UK.

I know that I have to book my appointment 7 days in advance... Can anyone tell me how much it will cost when I go there instead of posting my application? Also, will I get my visa on the same day if I go in person?

I tried to get this information from the South African Embassy but they weren't very helpful......


Posted By: Acjumina
Date Posted: 25 Apr 2009 at 4:21pm
By the way, if anyone needs the medical, affidavit forms etc. just let me know. I could send them to you....

Posted By: shivers05
Date Posted: 01 Jul 2009 at 1:06pm

I am planning to move to SA with my husband in December and have just started having some of the issues you guys seems to be having. I have to admit the consulate haven’t been very forthcoming with information either!


I just wanted to try and clarify some of the information that I have got from various website about applying for temporary residency. I really cant be spending £800 for a company to be doing this when I know I am so close (but yet so far) from getting all the information together!


I think I need:


My passport

2 passport photos

Marriage certificate

Affidavit- Is this a form? Does anyone have this form that is up to date?

Temporary residency form Bi1738

Medical report form Bi811

Radiological report Bi806

Police Clearance-Is this a form??

History of relationship- im assuming a joint bank account for 2 years would be ok?

Do I need to send a copy of my husbands ID?

Proof of financial means- does this have to be a certain amount in a bank account with statement?


I know I have to pay a fee for the visa and that I have to either have a return ticket or give them some money to prove I can afford to leave… anyone know how I go about this??


To my knowledge the London consulate is no longer letting people apply by person, it all has to be done by post and they wont speak to you on the phone either. Does anyone know that if I go there they would help and give me the forms and information I need? Im worried I send all my information and because one thing is wrong they just ignore it and I never hear from them again…


Any help would be much appreciated :o)

Posted By: Elissa Davie
Date Posted: 01 Jul 2009 at 1:15pm
Hi Shiver

First question is:

What kind of permit are you applying for?
Is you husband a SA citizen?
Are you on a British passport?

Posted By: Hunni_Bee
Date Posted: 02 Jul 2009 at 8:21am
Hi All
A little bit of advice. Hope this helps.
I am a South African citizen and my boyfriend who is British decided to move down to SA. He came down just on a holiday entry and then we applied for the Life Partner visa here at the Home Office. All we needed was a letter of Financial Support from myself stating I would support him until he is able to find a job, a letter from the both of us confirming our relationship (i.e. Proof of relationship - when we met etc), a Notarial Contract (I used the company DuToit Havermann & Lloyd - 031 201 3555 - this only cost me about R400), 2 forms which we needed to get from the home office, copies of his passport and my ID, a lease prooving you live together here. There was no cost to the actual application. Something interesting to note however, we thought we needed to apply for the permit first then look for employment but the home office official said that if we went to them when he already had a job they would grant the visa and endorse him to work at the same time otherwise you would get the visa first and then you would have to go back to endorse employment once you found a job. We get the visa back in a week!
Thanks Smile

Posted By: shivers05
Date Posted: 06 Jul 2009 at 1:58pm
Hi Elissa,

I was going to apply for temp residency via spousal connections... i thought that was the best way to go. Is it!?!

My husband is a SA citizen but has just been living here for the past 4 years.

I am British and hold a British passport.

Thank you for your help

Posted By: Elissa Davie
Date Posted: 06 Jul 2009 at 2:43pm
Hi Siobhan

Thanks for the message. I am not sure I would even get involved with the SA Consulate in London, if I were you. But you need to make that decision.
Which city will you be in or nearest to, when living in South Africa?

As you are on a British passport, you are visa exempt ie: you can arrive in South Africa without a visa and they will stamp a Visitor's permit in your passport when you arrive at the airport in South Africa.

Uk Nationals are issued a 90 day Visitor's permit(3 months).
Once you arrive, you can start putting together your application for your 11(6)- SA Life Partner Permit.
If you don't fancy working on it immediately, you will be entitled to extend your Visitor's Visa ONCE (and only once). You will be given an additional 90 days (ie: you get 6 months altogether).
Remember, though, all applications for extensions or new permits, should be submitted to the Department of Home Affairs, 30 days before your current permit expires.

Before you apply for your 11(6)- Spousal Permit, you must make sure your passport is valid for at least 2 years. If it was only valid for 1 year, for example, then your permit would only be issued to you for 1 year and you would have to apply for a new one after a year.

As you are married, your marriage certificate will cover most avenues. It is only when a couple is not married, that they have to consider notarial contracts etc.

Naturally, your husband must be able to prove he is an SA citizen.
And you should bring your unabridged birth certificate with you.
Your marriage certificate is exceptionally important.

Your passport
Marriage certificate
Affidavit - You shouldn't need an Affidavit if you have a marriage certificate
Temporary residency form Bi1738 BUT if you do in in SA it is a BI 1740
Medical and Radiological Certificates
Police Clearance - For all countries you have lived in since the age of 18 for more than a year. This is not a form, I expect if you approach the UK police, they will advise. They must not be older than 6months old.

History of relationship- If you have a marriage certificate you shouldn't need this.
Proof of financial means- Bank Statement or Salary Advice Slip from either or both of you. Does this have to be a certain amount in a bank account with statement? No stipulated amount, but to give you an idea, to live frugally in SA, paying off a car, insurance, rent, food, petrol, etc you will need a minimum of R10 000 per month.

If it were me, I would probably bring all my important documents with me to South Africa and do my application here.

Of course, it will not be a walk in the park, if you do it here or do it there, but, I expect our local offices process more application than the Embassy does, and is probably more practiced.

Good luck!

With best wishes,


Posted By: Mr T
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2009 at 3:14pm
Hi all,

Sorry to 'hijack' the thread but need some clarity over what is required for attaining a temporary resident permit.
With regards to  the BI -1738 form - application for temporary residency,  it does not state anywhere on it you are applying through the 'life partner' category?
The closest option is the relatives permit which is incorrect as this does not allow the the permit to be endorsed when work is found later on etc?

Am I missing something here.

The rest of it 'seems' simple,
Police clearance -  on its way from the UK
Radiological and medical test -  easily arranged
Proof of togetherness  - council tax letter for 11/04 and 11/08, joint bank account since 2006.
Avifdavit - take above letters to police station and easily sorted.

Anything else?

Thanks in advance


Posted By: Acjumina
Date Posted: 29 Jul 2009 at 3:53pm
Hi Marcus,

You will need to tick the 'Relative' box. Everyone calls it 'Life Partner Permit' but it's actually a 'Relative Permit'. Although you are not married they still consider you as a relative/spouse. Confusing, I know...

You are allowed to get a work endorsement added on to your Relative Permit at a later stage (once you have a job offer). No problem at all. Just go to Home Affairs the moment you arrive in SA and get the necessary form for your work endorsement application.

You will also need a letter of support from your partner, a letter from a friend or family member confirming relationship (and a certified passport copy from that friend / family member), a return ticket or proof of enough funds to be able to 'deport' yourself should you need to. The easiest way is to get an open return ticket which you can cancel once you are in SA.

I hope this helps.

Good luck!

Posted By: juliabecks
Date Posted: 07 Sep 2009 at 3:38am
I am an American going to South Africa on the life partner visa. This forum has been very helpful. I just have one question. For the medical and radiology report, what is the time frame that it needs to be done in. For example, I am not moving to SA until March 2010. Would it be too soon to get those reports now?

Posted By: Elissa Davie
Date Posted: 07 Sep 2009 at 7:59am
Hi Julia

Medical and Radiological Certificates should not be older than 6 months old.

Posted By: bobsUncle
Date Posted: 07 Sep 2009 at 4:02pm
Hi, thank you everyone who has contributed to this forum! Has been of great help! I just have one question: can anyone send me templates of:

A letter of support from your fiancee
A notorial contract

Thanks again! :)

Posted By: martinsuk
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2009 at 4:59pm
Hi there

Great thread :)

My wife is SA citizen and we are going over in November this year. I am British Citizen and we now have a new born son (currently 4 weeks old).

My understanding is that I can land on the 3 mth temp visa, and then apply for up to 2 yr temp visa immediately as my passport is valid until 2018 or something like that.

With regards to the Radiology and Medical Reports, can I get these in SA or should I get these in UK??

Police report I will apply for tomorrow.

With regards to my son, we applied to SA embassy 3 wks ago for forms to register his birth to get SA certificates, but now chased them twice and they keep saying they will send the forms but we still do not have them even though we paid signed for both ways!!

So now I am wondering if better to wait until SA to register our son?? If so, can we just get UK passport here for him to fly on, and then apply for his visa when we arrive, or will it be complicated to do this??

Many thanks for any advice.


Posted By: Mr T
Date Posted: 15 Sep 2009 at 7:44pm
Hi all,

Just an update about my life partner application.

Applied for life partner visa on the 18/08/09, today (15/09/09) passport has been stamped with 2 year temporary visa,  SmileSmileSmileSmile.

My experience / what I done / tips,etc....

I applied for change of visa of permit from 3 month tourist visa to a life partner temporary visa whilst in South Africa. No questions about this were asked by the staff at home affairs when handing the application in.
I completed and gathered all the relevant forms/documents myself and in my opinion it is not worth employing a company to do it is your case is straight forward.
I did not enclose a notarial  contract.
There is some waiting around in home affairs but my advice is to get there for 7.30am and you'll most likely be 1st in the queue.
Make sure you copy everything, they took my original copy of the police clearance document. (nothing was lost from my application pack)
The X-ray cost me R400 (just turn up and can be done while you wait) and the doctors letter R220. Both probably cheaper and quicker than the UK, and you get to keep your X-ray!!
You do not need the actual police clearance document to apply for temporary visa a letter stating your intention to do so. I guess the letter from the police stating you've applied and they have 40 days to send the document would suffice.
The letter of support from my girlfriend was less than 2 lines long, stated that she will support me emotionally and financially.
The Affidavit (for togetherness of myself and my girlfriend) was signed at local police station for nil cost.
My application form was presented with, 2 x council bills, electoral role form, 2 x joint bank statements, solicitors letter from when we purchased house 5 years ago, girlfriends South African bank statement.

Just a quick note about my experiences with dealing with home affairs in Barrack Street, Cape Town, they have all been good. Not only dealing with my visa but also when my girlfriend had to redetermine her status (due to leaving the country as a minor), new ID book and passport.

Hope this info is a help to someone.

Marcus (in a not so sunny Cape Town)

Posted By: hpwbri001
Date Posted: 21 Sep 2009 at 8:13pm
Hi Mr T,
Thanks for that nice, positive information! My boyfriend and I are wanting to apply for a Life Partner Visa in January..what I want to know is when you go to home affairs to change from being a tourist to getting a temp Life Partner visa which forms do you ask for and which boxes do you tick- is it the relatives box?
Thanks so much!

Posted By: NannaH
Date Posted: 02 Oct 2009 at 7:08pm
Hi there,
Wow what a helpful site. So pleased that there are others in the same situation. Have you sent your stuff to the SA Embassy by post? Did you have to include your passport in that and how long did it take to get it back? I don't know when I could afford to be without my passport for weeks...

Also did you include a job offer in your application?  Do you know what information it needs to contain?

Finally, which box did you tick on the form? I can't see a box for life partner/spouse.

Many thanks for all the help!


BTW this site seems to have all the templates for affidavits, med reports etc:

Posted By: NannaH
Date Posted: 02 Oct 2009 at 8:01pm
Damn ... except that the affidavit only gives you the option of being someone who already has a temporary residents permit... How does that work when it is listed as an attachment to temporary residents permits?

Posted By: Mr T
Date Posted: 02 Oct 2009 at 9:50pm
How are you going to appy for life partner permit if neither of you are  SA or have a valid temporary residence stamp?
The section you complete for life partner is the relatives permit section.

Originally posted by NannaH

Damn ... except that the affidavit only gives you the option of being someone who already has a temporary residents permit... How does that work when it is listed as an attachment to temporary residents permits?

Posted By: NannaH
Date Posted: 05 Oct 2009 at 10:41am
Sorry my fiance is South African.

Posted By: Elissa Davie
Date Posted: 08 Oct 2009 at 3:15pm
Global Migration SA

Posted By: BenjaminA
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2009 at 8:26pm
Hi I'm married to Sharon a South African citizen and we are looking to relocate back to SA in Jan. We have been working in SE Asia for the past 5 years. We own a flat in Durban outright and have considerable savings. Can I apply for a spousal visa once I arrive in SA on a visitors visa? Does my wife need prove she can support me? I have a tentitive job offer but no contracts yet. Can I work on a spousal visa? We've been married for 8 years. I am sorting some of the necessary documents here in the UK such as police clearance etc.
Can someone advise?

Posted By: scout00
Date Posted: 19 Oct 2009 at 7:44pm
Hi all,
I am also thinking of applying for a life partner visa so i can go and live/work and be with my south african boyfriend in SA.
My issue is this - we dont have any joint accounts or tenancy agreements as untill now we have been living in different countries, me in UK and him there. I am planning on visiting in a few weeks so wondered if whilst im there we can get the Notatial agreement and Affidavit all sorted then i can bring them back to UK and with all the other paper work needed apply from UK? We can get letters from friends and family confirming the relationship and he will write a letter of support too.
Just wondered if all this sounds ok, i know most people do it from South Africa or through agents.
Any help/advice is welcomed

Posted By: ceejay
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2009 at 12:29pm
Hi All,
I wonder if you can help. Myself and my partner might be going to SA for 6 months for work. We are both UK citizens, my boyfriend has a job offer (6 month contract) out there and I am wanting to go with him. He will be getting a work permit as he has a job secured.
I am very confused as to which visa/permit I need to go with him. I would like to be able to work but don't have a job out there (I am a tecaher and was hoping to be able to teach), however a job is not a necessity for me.
Finding lots of information that all seems to contradict each other.
Do i just go on the 3 month allowance UK citizens get and then try to extend? Or - if I come home for Christmas - does this time limit reset when I leave the country and come back after a week? Or do I need to apply for a temporary residence permit?
So many options???????

Posted By: Mr T
Date Posted: 25 Oct 2009 at 7:24am
Sorry about the delay.
Go to this website and click link under 'Affidavit by Life Partners'.


Originally posted by NannaH

Sorry my fiance is South African.

Posted By: Mr T
Date Posted: 25 Oct 2009 at 7:34am
Yes you can apply for spousal visa whilst in SA.
If you show a copy of your bank statement with your application that should suffice as it does state that the 5000 Rand a month support money is not applicable for spousal / kin applications.
Can not automatically work on spousal visa, but when you produce a job offer to home affairs an endorsement is added to your spousal visa. Much easier than trying to apply for a standalone work visa.


Originally posted by BenjaminA

Hi I'm married to Sharon a South African citizen and we are looking to relocate back to SA in Jan. We have been working in SE Asia for the past 5 years. We own a flat in Durban outright and have considerable savings. Can I apply for a spousal visa once I arrive in SA on a visitors visa? Does my wife need prove she can support me? I have a tentitive job offer but no contracts yet. Can I work on a spousal visa? We've been married for 8 years. I am sorting some of the necessary documents here in the UK such as police clearance etc.
Can someone advise?

Posted By: Mr T
Date Posted: 25 Oct 2009 at 7:39am
You can enter on 3 month visitor permit and extend for further 3 months whilst in SA. You cannot work on a visitor permit.
You can only extend your visitor permit once in total (not once per visit)
You can exit and enter the country to gain a further 3 months.


Originally posted by ceejay

Hi All,
I wonder if you can help. Myself and my partner might be going to SA for 6 months for work. We are both UK citizens, my boyfriend has a job offer (6 month contract) out there and I am wanting to go with him. He will be getting a work permit as he has a job secured.
I am very confused as to which visa/permit I need to go with him. I would like to be able to work but don't have a job out there (I am a tecaher and was hoping to be able to teach), however a job is not a necessity for me.
Finding lots of information that all seems to contradict each other.
Do i just go on the 3 month allowance UK citizens get and then try to extend? Or - if I come home for Christmas - does this time limit reset when I leave the country and come back after a week? Or do I need to apply for a temporary residence permit?
So many options???????

Posted By: shivers05
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2009 at 5:38pm

I just got my visa from the London consulate and it wasn’t as nearly as traumatic as I thought it would be!!

I called the appointment help line. It’s £1 a minute and its an automated system and takes about 15mins. Having an appointment is worth the £15. By the sounds of it they give everyone the same 8:30am appointment so id get there a bit earlier and queue, although they don’t always open at 8:30. I brought the originals and a photocopy of all my documents. They take the photocopy and check the originals. They also check through the form for you.

I brought:

My passport plus copy

My husbands ID book plus copy

Wedding cert (if not married then I assume thats when you need the affidavit, co-habitation agreements and proof of relationship)

Bank statement showing I had funds

Letter of support from my husband plus his bank statement in SA (letter just said he would support me emotionally and financially)

Medical cert

Radiology cert plus report

Police clearance

The temp residence form (ticked relatives permit)


If you didn’t have everything, they tell you what’s missing. Then I assume you’d have to make another appointment and go back with everything. A pain but at least you know.

For the form I just said I was going to be living with my husband and I didn’t put any details about a return ticket or any extra information. This was on the Thursday, then they told me to come back at 9:30am on Monday and ‘collect my outcome’. On Monday I went back with my passport and they stick the visa in your passport. No problems at all.Smile

Thanks everyone for all your help!!!

Posted By: andysor
Date Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 10:23pm
I've been in SA on a study visa for the past 6 years and have been together with my girlfriend for 5. We are planning on moving in together next year so I want to change to a life partner visa.

Just checking:
Will it be fine to just get a shared rental agreement? She has been living with me "unoficially" for the past 2 years which plenty of people (friends, family) can confirm.
I have a job offer - can I apply for endorsement at the same time as the visa?
Do I need anything from an immigration lawyer or is the standard affidavit signed  by both of us at a police station enought?
I have a SA account and have been working part time while studying, will this be sufficient proof of funds along with the job offer?

Thanks, this is a great thread!

Posted By: hilrap
Date Posted: 10 Dec 2009 at 9:57am

I would really also like to enhance my legal status in SA through a lifepartner permit (my gf and I have been together since 2001), but yet have a view open questions.

Has anyone here ever applied for a permanent resident too (any additional documents required?) - and is it advisable to submit both applications at ones?

Then, which application form is best to be used,  having already entered the country on a vistors permit (" - change of conditions BI-1740 " or " - Application for a temp. Permit BI-1738 ") ?
Furthermore I am a little confused as to how important the "Radiological", "Medical" and “Notorial-Contract” forms are? "Mr T" e.g., did seem to have endorsed the medical forms but not a "Notarial Contract"! - Hunni_Bee , however, did not endorse any medical certificates?!

Does anyone know which documents exactly would need to be submitted for the subsequent work endorsement (preferably all in one go)?

I know these are quite a view questions, but it would be of  greeeeeeeat appreciation should  someone wish to share these experiences!

Kind regards from JHB,

Posted By: carolineoldrey
Date Posted: 03 Jan 2010 at 9:59pm
Hi there
I really want to move to SA to be with my boyfriend I see that you have to of lived together for six months does that have to be all in one go? does it have to be recently? we lived together in 2007-2008 and last year I spent 4 months with him jan,feb then july august?
Thanks Caroline

Posted By: SigfredOfNorse
Date Posted: 11 Feb 2010 at 8:43am

I recently went through the whole process of applying for the South African spousal visa and found it really hard to find the relevant information about te application process.

I friend of mine directed me to an article online - ; - they have step by step instructions and all the forms are available to download.

I have not got the visa and loving my new life in Cape Town...


Posted By: Sheri.G
Date Posted: 15 Feb 2010 at 11:37am
HI there all,

I am in desperate need of some information regarding spousal Visa's in South Africa and I hope that someone could please help me.

I am a South African citizen with a SA ID book, my Husband of 3 months in an Angolan Citizen. We will be together 5 years on 9 May 2010.

Our problem is this... When we met he was on a student visa (issued at the Home affairs office in Pretoria), we successfully re-newed this VISA twice in Pretoria, we then applied for a third re-newel of his study VISA in January 2007 and we were told it would be ready in 30 days. We returned numerous times to check whether the VISA was ready yet, (we had provided all the required documentation and payed all the relevant payments)Only to be told in October that they had not received our application... This is what gets me... We have the receipt of payment and the receipt from Home Affairs stating they have received the application.

So officially my husband has not legally been living in South Africa for the last 3 years (not by choice BUT rather due to incompetence on behalf of Home affairs.)This makes life difficult as I am now the sole bread winner in the family. We have tried using immigration consultants for the past 3 years and they have bee unable to help him legalize his stay.

My question is this what can we possibly do to resolve this situation as my husband as a full time job offer as a translator?????
Can we apply ourselves for a Spousal Visa even though his most current VISA is three years expired??? We can supply documents to prove that he has made attempts to legalize his status numerous times.

If you are married is a Spousal Visa still an option for us???

I hope that someone could PLEASE help us... The situation is becoming increasingly worse with each day that passes!!

We also have the problem that we are in an inter-racial relationship and this seems to be a problem as most people who do not know us, namely Home Affairs, assume that our marriage is a marriage of convenience. This is not true I love my husband deeply and would do anything to help him legalize himself here in SA so that we can start our own family.



Posted By: Elissa Davie
Date Posted: 16 Feb 2010 at 9:15am
Hi Sheri

The South African Constitution protects the rights of its citizens and it is therefore your right to be able to be with your husband. You should therefore be able to "legalise" your husband and at the same time apply for a SA Spousal Permit.

Drop me an email: I am the KZN Regional Co-ordinator for Global Migration SA, but we have offices Nationally.

You should be able to sort out your situation.

With best wishes,

Posted By: Midget
Date Posted: 17 Feb 2010 at 10:01am
Hi there    ,

I am gathering information on applying for life partner visa, You mentioned that you have affidavit form, do you also have medical radiological and a Notorial Contract per chance. Thanks heaps, i would much appreciate your help.

Posted By: Midget
Date Posted: 17 Feb 2010 at 10:43am
Hi everyone what a great lot of info i have been looking for this info for months.

Does anyone have a notorial Agreement of Cohabitaion and an Affadavit form that they could share with me i have everything else ( i believe) thanks to everyone here. Also is it essential that i get a return ticket out of S.A ?

Thanks Heaps :)

Posted By: Midget
Date Posted: 17 Feb 2010 at 10:49am
.....Or must i get one written up especially for me ?Also for anyone whom has done this in the past is this essential ?

Posted By: Midget
Date Posted: 17 Feb 2010 at 11:17am
Hi everybody, Have been doing research and have found conflicting information about the notarial contract, some say its not nessasary others say its a nessesity. Can someone please help me on this one :) Thanks heaps i should prob stop taking up all the page now :)

Posted By: hilrap
Date Posted: 09 Mar 2010 at 11:57am
Originally posted by Midget

.....Or must i get one written up especially for me ?Also for anyone whom has done this in the past is this essential ?

Hi Midget,

as for the Notorial Contract, respectively "Cohabitation Agreement", you need your individual one. Since notaries public in Jozi failed to understand what I really needed, or wanted to charge horrific amounts - i took the very helpful advice here from the forum an called DU TOIT HAVEMANN & LLOYD (031 201 3555) in Durban. I would advise you to speak to Adele as she is extremely helpful with everything. The cost involved are  around R450.-  ...

As for the affidavits, you'll need the form - BI-1712 A - and "Part 1" of - this document . Btw., the whole list of documents you can obtain from -

With regards to the contradicting information as to whether the notorial contract is required. Just better get it! At one Homeaffairs they would tell you "yes" and at an other "no".. My experience is, if you have it all together they can't refuse no more (unless they keep telling you at collection that their "stickers" are finished - that's if you're stuck with Germiston Homeaffairs. ...but I guess that is an other story to tell Angry ) !!

Hope this helps and I shall wish you good luck...! Wink


PS. Return ticket is not required (unless you need to extend your "tourist visa" in the meantime)...

Posted By: hilrap
Date Posted: 09 Mar 2010 at 12:41pm
http:// -

Getting the life partner visa, however also brings me to my next question. Work!

I have been thinking, since the "work endorsement" will bind me to a certain employer and a certain position, I will rather be bind to my very own "employment agency"! Wink The HomeAffairs Officer I spoke to with regards to the relevant documents of a "business endorsement", did claim that he needs proof of compnay, an outline of the company and proof of five SA'n citizen employed, as well as tax clearance certificates from SARS. Now, initially he came also up with the R 2.5Mil. for investment and bla bla... I had to tell him that for lifepartnership visa holders, this is no more applicable. He confirmed and agreed, however then stuck to the five SA'n citizens to be employed...

Does anyone know if that still holds, especially if SA'n lifepartner is main-shareholder of the company (a CC)? Does anyone have a complete overview on documents required with regards to a "business endorsement"?

Help will (ones again) be highly appreciated !! :-)

Posted By: lbowden23
Date Posted: 10 Mar 2010 at 11:59am
PLEASE CAN YOU HELP ME! I have been in SA now for 2 years now, when I arrived I came in on a 3 month holiday Visa and then applied for Life Partner with my boyfriend. in Aug 2008 I was offered a job and applied for a work permit which is now vaild till Aug 2011. My life partner visa runs out in a couple of months, please can you advise whether I should reinstate this Visa as I think it looks better as a couple and will help when we choose to move back to UK. What's your opinion? If I do want to get that reinstated how do I go about it? What do I need? I obv have the Xray, drs note, affidavit, proof of cohabitation etc frm before 2 yrs ago so will I need to do this all again?  this a different form this time?I did it myself last time and now can't remember what information and docs I need to get and what form nw that i'm extending it. I've tried to call homeaffairs but they are really unhelpful and keep putting me through to a phone that rings forever :(

Please help :(

Thank you


Posted By: shuwen84
Date Posted: 16 Mar 2010 at 2:05pm
I have a Life Partner permit.
I recently just got a job offer.
What is the process to get the work permit?
What must i need?
Please advise.

Posted By: shaunsch
Date Posted: 23 Mar 2010 at 3:28pm
Hi all
Thank you for the great information loaded on this site and this will def be making our spousal application easier.
I just have a few questions regarding the visitors visa and want to know if this would be best option for me and my partner.
  • I am on South African passport and my partner is on Filipino passport.
  • We met in Dubai and lived together in Dubai but we dont have any bills in both of our names as we could not life together as life partners in Dubai
  • I am back in South Africa
  • He is currently in Thailand on vacation with his mom and will then go back to Philipines to apply for the visa.
What I need to know for applying for the visa
  • Will it be easier for him to apply for visit visa or spouse visa in Philipines
  • As he has left Dubai and is now in Thailand and then Philipines, he doesnt have a job, or credit card or bank account in either country. He has an account in Dubai and we have friends that can deposit funds in there but we wont be able to get a bank statement.
  • I am happy to provide for him whilst he is here if he comes on visit visa, but would the fact that he doesnt have a job or bank account jepordise his chances of getting a visitors visa for SA?

Hope to hear from you soon and thanks for all the info so far.

Cheers Shaun

Posted By: spekerol
Date Posted: 04 Jun 2010 at 9:48am

I have a Spousal Visa, I am married to a South African Citizen living part of this year in RSA and part in the USA. I would like to Know If My wife and I are Invited as International Guest Speaker from the U.S.A. to a church, can i do it on the visa i have or do i need authorization from Home affairs for such or what? Please Note my wife is pretty much the head of it all and we are probably gonna go non-profit, So from time to time Churches may invite us to Speak to there people as well as Motivational Speaking to be more productive in the community or business or cultural. PLEASE HELP!




Posted By: Elissa Davie
Date Posted: 09 Jun 2010 at 9:32am
Dear Spekerol

There are 2 sections to a SA Spousal Permit, the Section 11(6)(a) which allows a foreigner to reside in South Africa with his/her South African spouse/life partner (I believe this is what you are on) and then there is the Section 11(6)(b) which allows the foreigner to reside with his/her South African spouse/life partner and to work/study/run a business.

You are not allowed to work, give talks, do volunteer work etc unless you are on the Section 11(6)(b) permit.

If you are offered employment, you will require a letter from your prospective employer or a contract of employment.

If you are starting your own business, you will need to provide proof of this eg: company registration.

And if you are planning to study, you will require a letter of acceptance from the school/institute where you will be studying.

I hope that information helps you.

With best wishes,


Posted By: carolineoldrey
Date Posted: 12 Jul 2010 at 8:55am
Hi there
I am having a bit of a nightmare with immigration!
Just a quick question did you have to do the full application for a work permit when on your Life Partner visa or how did you do it what info did you need?

Posted By: Elissa Davie
Date Posted: 12 Jul 2010 at 10:29am
Hi Caro

You need to apply for a South African Life Partner permit WITH authorisation to work.

You will then need to provide a letter or contract from your new employer confirming the job offer.

Posted By: carolineoldrey
Date Posted: 12 Jul 2010 at 11:46am
Thanks Elissa
My pemit says relative permit at the top then to reside with life partner at the bottom is that what you call a life partner visa?

Posted By: Sheri.G
Date Posted: 12 Jul 2010 at 3:35pm
Hi there all....

I am having HUGE issues legalising my husbands status in South Africa.
He is Angolan and entered South Africa 6 years ago on a study permit, he renewed this permit 4 times previously. He then registered to do yet another course at the same college he had done his 2 previous courses, this was 4 years ago  and we still have never had any feedback from Home Affairs regarding this visa despite going into th Pretoria regional office for 11 months straight. We were then asked if he had even submitted the application, even though we had a receipt with about 11 dated stamps from everytime we went to enquire about  the permit.

We then got married in October 2009 hoping that this would help us obtain a permit, only to be told that we would have to be married for 5 years before he could aply for residence. We then after alot of hassels got an application in for a Spousal Permit at the Home Affairs head office thanx to the help of a caring employee there. This was in Febuary 2010 and we were told that it would take 30 days, BUT we are still waiting.
We recieved an sms from Home Affairs stating that the application had been received and it gave us a reference number to trace the progress online. I have been checking daily since we recieved the SMS and we always get the same message "Your application of Temporary Residence Permit has been received and in process at office of application."
I have contacted the enquires centre and they tell me I need to go to the office of application to check on the Spousal Permit, but this is impossible as Head office does not deal directly with the public.

We will be having our first child in November and we were hoping to have recieved the permit by then, but this is starting to look rather unlikely. We have tried everything possible to get him some kind of permit for South Africa as he has never had any intention on being here illegally. We are hoping that he can apply for residence once our son is born, but were told that we would not be able to apply for residence if there is still a pending application for a permit at Home Affairs.

I know this is an EXTREMLEY looong message, but please if anyone could give us any information regarding the above it would be really appreciated.



Posted By: soph912
Date Posted: 22 Jul 2010 at 11:37am
Hi! Your last post is a little old (back in 2008), but I hope you are still checking as I hope you will be able to help me or give me some advice.

I am a Filipino married to a South African citizen, and I am trying to apply for a spouse permit to go to SA, and I already have all the documents required, EXCEPT for police clearance. I have a police clearance from my country of origin; however, since I have been working in China for a few years now, the SA embassy told me that I need a clearance from China, too. I tried to get that, too, but China is a huge country and not every province is used to seeing foreigners or dealing with foreigners. The province where I worked was one of those. As such, they (Chinese authorities) told me they will not issue me one. I found out later that the reason is because they have never issued one for a foreigner and they are cautious because it is an international document! It is really frustrating as my husband and i are law-abiding citizens and we have not done anything illegal, and yet we are suffering as if we did! I have exhausted all efforts to try to get this clearance, but the Chinese authority is being stubborn about it. What can I do to acquire my spousal permit? It is infuriating that my husband and I are kept apart because the Chinese do not know how to deal with standard protocol! But seeing that there is nothing more I can do about it, is there any other way that I can still get a spouse permit without the clearance from China?

PLEASE, we really need your help! thank you!

Posted By: h_b
Date Posted: 22 Jul 2010 at 3:06pm
Some really helpful information on here so a big thanks to everyone!
One thing we're currently weighing up is whether to apply for the life partner visa from the UK or SA. I'm from the UK, my b/f is from SA and has lived in the UK for 8 years so it's a bit of a new start for us both.
I don't think we have an issue getting the paperwork needed, but my concern if we apply for my life partner permit when we get to SA it could take weeks, with me not working, and him potentially job hunting if he doesn't pin anything down before we go, and we don't really want to rack up debt with no earnings unless we have to. However, I've heard conflicting stories about the ability to apply (and the success rates of this) from outside SA and wondered if anyone had any more info on this?

Posted By: hilrap
Date Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by soph912

But seeing that there is nothing more I can do about it, is there any other way that I can still get a spouse permit without the clearance from China?

PLEASE, we really need your help! thank you!

Hi soph,

why don't you come to SA on a 3 month visitors permit and apply from here with Home Affairs? All you godda do then is to apply for a "Change of Conditions on Existing Permit" (Form BI-1740) ones you're here ! That you have lived in China for few years, is nothing HomeAffairs "needs" to be told! ;) ..However, you must make sure that you have an officially translated version (english) for your police-clearance from country of origin (such can be obtained in SA as well) !

Posted By: hilrap
Date Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by h_b

Some really helpful information on here so a big thanks to everyone!
One thing we're currently weighing up is whether to apply for the life partner visa from the UK or SA. I'm from the UK, my b/f is from SA and has lived in the UK for 8 years so it's a bit of a new start for us both.
I don't think we have an issue getting the paperwork needed, but my concern if we apply for my life partner permit when we get to SA it could take weeks, with me not working, and him potentially job hunting if he doesn't pin anything down before we go, and we don't really want to rack up debt with no earnings unless we have to. However, I've heard conflicting stories about the ability to apply (and the success rates of this) from outside SA and wondered if anyone had any more info on this?

Not sure on the procedure in the UK. If you apply from SA, it should take you 3-4 weeks to get the permit (that if home affairs doesn't loose your application or so). Should you wish to work, make sure you apply for life partner visa including work or business endorsement (NB: not work permit!) all in ones, as otherwise you have even longer to wait !!!

Posted By: h_b
Date Posted: 26 Jul 2010 at 5:49pm
Thanks! Just found out that it's potentially quicker applying at the consulate here in London than waiting til we get to SA. Next decision is whether to hire an immigration lawyer or not.
In terms of proving bills / shared living arrangements is there any guidelines on how far back you have to go?

Posted By: aussiechica
Date Posted: 11 Aug 2010 at 12:03pm
Hi guys, great forum!
Quick question - I have a Spouse Visa with a work endorsement. Is it possible to ADD a study permit on to this as well? I want to work full time and study part time.

Posted By: jackstones
Date Posted: 03 Sep 2010 at 11:42am

I am a South African Citizen.
My wife is from America and is here on a temporary permit [Section 11(6)a]
she studies though UNISA to become a Chartered Accountant.
She would like to start her Trainees-hip and do her articles.
This will be a fix term learner-ship agreement, but she will still have a employment contract.
Will she need to be endorsed and get a conditional work permit?

Can someone please advise me on this.

Thank you,


Posted By: jpgeorge
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2010 at 12:43pm
Hello All,

I am an American citizen who relocated to South Africa in May 2010 to join my South African life partner. I went through a lot of stress figuring out the process so I wanted to share my experience here to help others. This site was very helpful to me, and in fact saved me R7000+ that some immigration agencies have been requesting to file and process the so-called Life Partner visa. The visa is actually titled Temporary Residence Visa through the Relative's Permit category (spousal). (You must first file for temporary residence and be in the country for 2 years before you can file for permanent residence.) This visa sometimes called a Life Partner visa because it allows life partners of South Africans the same right to reside and work in the Republic as spouses of South Africans. This is related to a High Court ruling stating that life partners must have the same recognition under the law as spouses of South Africans when it comes to exercising certain rights.

See the South African Consulate website, under Relatives Permit for the basic requirements: The requirements vary slightly for the “life partner” category of relatives’ permits. Home Affairs itself seems a bit confused about the requirements for this visa. However, after calling and going to Home Affairs we finally figured it all out.

The following is what I submitted to Home Affairs in Pretoria, as a US citizen. (There may be slightly different requirements for other foreign nationals (see SA consulate website)) I submitted my application on June 7, 2010 and obtained my temporary residence permit in mid August 2010. The permit was actually ready on July 31, 2010 but Home Affairs’ online system was “down” for several weeks so the only way I found out my permit was ready was by physically going to Home Affairs where I was told it was ready.

•     Original and copy of my South African life partner’s ID book
•     My original passport (with copies) with 2 full blank pages; passport must be valid for 2 years and 1 month after date of application for the temp. residence visa
•     Official application form BI-1738 (
•     State Police Clearance (federal FBI clearance was not required)
•     Radiological Report (
•     Medical Certificate (( )
•     Letter of Support by my life partner (notarized), Stating that he will support my application for temporary residence, supports me emotionally, financially and in any other means necessary, confirming that we are in a serious long term relationship excluding all others, which we intend as permanent and that we are cohabitating
•     Affidavit (BI-1712A) where spousal relationship other than a marriage is applicable (such as a life partnership) with proof of cohabitation (Affidavit: Make sure you obtain this form directly from Home Affairs. The form we used was downloaded from the internet and apparently not the most recent form. As of Oct. 21, 2010 it is titled BI-1712A, “Affidavit in Respect of Parties to a Permanent Spousal Relationship”; Proof of cohabitation: We brought our Rental Contract which has both of our names on it.)
•     “Notarial Contract”, in the case of cohabitation (Otherwise called a Cohabitation Agreement, stating date when relationship commenced, any rental agreement entered into together, current address of cohabitation, agreements about respective proprietary rights and liabilities arising from the domestic partnership arrangement)
o     I used the services of Rita Annemarie Jordaan in Waterkloof Ridge Pretoria, at the cost of R500 for the contract
•     Proof of Financial Means
o     I brought bank statements from US accounts – bring statements for at least the 3 months prior to your arrival in SA
•     Note: birth certificate is not necessary unless a minor child is involved (although this isn’t clear from application form BI 1738)

A few personal notes – make sure you photocopy every single document and take them to the police station to certify the copies (this is free!) before handing them in to Home Affairs. Some documents they require an original while others they will accept a certified copy.

Also, I’ve read about long lines at Home Affairs but did not experience this in Pretoria’s Home Affairs office. The office for temporary/perm. residence permits rarely had long lines and we typically went around 10:00 or so in the morning. This entire process took us about 3 trips to Home Affairs, and the only time we waited for more than 15 minutes was to pick up the completed visa. That took about 2 hours and was quite an experience. There isn’t a very organized system and you have to be vocal in order to get service. Make sure that they don’t “accidentally” give your passport to someone else. When you enter the room, you hand in your passport and wait for them to bring it out with your visa stamped in it. They come out sometimes with 10 or more passports at a time, and I saw a man who nearly had his passport taken by an immigration agent who was picking up a big batch of his clients passports. Just be attentive.

Once you get a temporary residence permit, you can work legally – you need a contract from an employer and you take that to Home Affairs, where they endorse your passport for work.

Good luck to you all and let me know any questions you may have about my experience.


Posted By: ImmigrationSA
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2010 at 8:58am
Hi all

My gosh, what a long thread over almost three years!

Please give me a call or email to sort out these problems. Although we can't sort out any delays at Home Affairs, we can assist in making things right while you wait.

Visit our site on %20 - and contact us there too if you like.

Best regards


Posted By: nazira
Date Posted: 08 Nov 2010 at 11:12am

Hi all,

i need some help regarding my visa...
i am a zambian  married to a south african and i am holding a relatives permit
which was issued to me on the 28/07/2009 valid till the 27/07/2011..
i have been battling to get a job from the time i have moved here.(29/07/2009)..
i have found a job and but they say i need to have a work permit.. it that ture???
why cant i work with a relative permit???

Posted By: ImmigrationSA
Date Posted: 08 Nov 2010 at 1:37pm
Hi Nazira

You cannot work on a relative's permit. You need to apply for and receive a spousal permit, on which you can get a work endorsement. I'm surprised you didn't get a spousal permit before - they allow you much more freedom and ease to study, work and open a business in SA. A relative's permit only allows you to live in South Africa.

Email me or direct message me if you need more help.



Posted By: jpgeorge
Date Posted: 08 Nov 2010 at 2:12pm

I am confused by your posting.

I applied for a temporary residence permit, under the Relatives Permit category ( life partner, which is the same under the law as a spousal partner) and was given a visa in my passport titled "Relatives Permit, Temporary Residence Permit." On the actual visa application there is no category titled "Spousal Permit" but only one for Relatives.

I was told by Home Affairs that once I got a job offer I could bring the contract to Home Affairs to have my Temporary Residence Permit (Relatives) endorsed for work. I was not given any indication that a "Relatives Permit" is distinct from a "spousal permit" and has differing rights attached. Have I been misinformed?



Posted By: ImmigrationSA
Date Posted: 08 Nov 2010 at 5:40pm

I'm not sure where you have your information from, but the Relative's Permit and the Spousal/Life Partner Permits are not the same.

1. You may NOT work on a relative's permit. If someone at Home Affairs told you this, they are wrong and if you want to work, you will have to apply for an applicable Work Permit (there are a few types).
2. Both the Spousal and Life Partner Permit give a non-SA citizen the same rights as their spouse/partner. This is why you don't have to prove that no South African can do your job if you find work, for example. On these permits you can get a work endorsement

I really don't know who told you that information, but I can assure you that it is wrong. I myself have sometimes phoned different Home Affairs branches and received varied answers.

I hope this helps, and apologies if this sounds hard, but you need to know. Please email me with any further questions if necessary.



Posted By: connollyjm
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2010 at 8:49am
By 'office of application' they mean where you handed in your documents.  They should have given you a receipt stating how many weeks the application should take but don't wait for an SMS just go there after the time is up and ask.  If it is still taking long, ask to see the 'office manager' and see if you can make him / her feel sorry for you! You might get lucky

Posted By: connollyjm
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2010 at 9:47am
Hi all,
Just got my work permit in conjunction with my spousal permit for myself and child.
I am a U.K citizen who emmigrated here in Dec 09.  I did not obtain any visas in the U.K before travelling, i initially purchased a one-way ticket for my wife ( an SA citizen ) and child ( a UK citizen ) but when we got to the airport, the check-in staff said that the SA immigration may ask to see a return ticket when you land.  We then purchased fully refundable tickets at the U.K airport just to show the staff in SA but, of course, they did'nt even ask so we just got the tickets refunded.
When we landed, i was ready to say that we were just coming on holiday as i was'nt sure if they would get difficult and send us back on the next plane to the U.K but again no questions were asked and we were given the usual green 90 day entry sticker.
I then went to Home affairs in pretoria CBD to submit the documents that i had printed off on the U.K side by hunting through websites like this.
To apply for the spousal permit i submitted:
-BI-1740  which i found on the SA consulate New York but they can give you the forms in the building but bear in  mind they will not let you take forms out of the building for some strange reason
-my long form birth cert
-U.K ACPO Police certificate ( bit of confusion as to whether you need this one or the subject access so i just applied for both and submitted both ) think they must also be within 6 months but as to whether they bother to check this or not is unclear
-marriage cert ( i went there with the cert i received when we got married in SA but they said i must get the printed version.  They do you a printed version on the ground floor of the same building so its not a big deal )
-letter from spouses' employer
-bank statement from spouse
-medical cert( took it at local gp in SA for R300 ) here's the form i gave the doctor to fill out -
-radiological report (  R350 at same GP ) -
-hand written letter from spouse stating she will support us financially etc etc 
-long form birth cert for my child
As i recall, we only waited a couple of months to receive it but make sure that if there is a child attached to your application that they record it.
I waited until the sposal permit was received ( it does'nt say sposal permit anywhere on the visa by the way.  It says ' extension of temporary residence permit ' and under purpose ' to accompany SAC spouse ' ) before applying for the work permit as staff at home affairs Pretoria told me so.  I completed the form which is available in the office and submitted:
-SAQA certificate ( this cert was obtained by going to: Hatfield forum west, 1067 Arcadia st, Hatfield , Pretoria by handing in certified copies of my GCSE certificates and paying a fee based on how quickly you want a response ) this cert then gives the equivalent SA education standard.
-college certificates for my studies jan-mar 2010 in SA
At the time, i was going to work for myself so i stated i was ' self employed ' this was back in mar 2010.  After many visits from apr 2010 onwards i was'nt getting anywhere so i asked to speak to the ' office manager ' who in turn directed me to the supervisor of the work permit section in Home affairs Pretoria.  She then said they need a letter from the employer stating ' there is a shortage of this persons skills in SA etc etc ' which had to be typed out and on the company's letter head.  I am now in business with an SAC so i had him do this and i received the work permit just last week so it seems that saying you're self employed confuses them and that company letter is very important.
As for my child's application, i was told a few months back while i was checking the status of my work permit that my child does have a claim to SAC even though i was told in the beginning that this was not the case.  They then told me that my spouse may have renounced her SAC due to being in the U.K for more than five years which i find to be nonsense as, before we applied for her U.K passport, we obtained an ' exemption letter ' from the SA consulate trafalgar square London ( another vacuum of helpful information and advise ) stating that ' you will not cease to be an SAC by obtaining nationality of another country '  which the staff member at home affairs now says is expired!!.  The other point about this that makes no sense is that the spousal visa is surely based on the fact that the spouse is an SAC so by granting that visa to the child and myself and then saying the spouse may no longer be an SAC they are contradicting themselves?
Anyway, as things stand for the child:
1.foreign registration of birth was applied for Mar 2010
2.Home affairs head office requested 'determination of SAC ' to be filed for spouse ( filed july 2010 )
I am told that when / if spouse is still an SAC i then:
1.apply for resumption of SAC for spouse
2.apply again for the exemption letter
3.child can then be registered as a SA birth
4.child applies for SA passport
I heard of someone who did not register the birth in the U.K but went to the SA consulate trafalgar sq London and applied there for a temporary SA ppt to get into the country and then applied for the U.K passport while in SA so its a different way of doing it.
Please let me know if you're situation is similar and you need any address' websites etc

Posted By: jpgeorge
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2010 at 11:01am

All, (and Jess)

My temporary residence permit reads in capital letters at the top "RELATIVES PERMIT" , then my name and passport number, then "Temporary Residence Permit" Issued at: PTA, No. of Entries: Multiple, Conditions: TO RESIDE WITH SA LIFE PARTNER.

My understanding is that this is a relatives permit of the life partner/spousal category, permitting me to live and work in South Africa (with offer of employment I can have it endorsed for work). Can anyone with a similar visa confirm this?



Posted By: ImmigrationSA
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2010 at 11:13am
Hi all

Yes, your permit will say Relative's Permit, but the real name is Spousal Permit (if married) or Life Partner Permit. Currently the Immigration Act actually doesn't say much about Life Partner Permits at all, which is why you won't find it on the Home Affairs website either.

You can study, work or open a business with the correct endorsement on this permit, without having to prove many of the things others do have to. Currently your permit allows you to live in South Africa only. To get it endorsed to work, yes, the main document you will require, is a (preferably permanent) contract of employment.

Good luck!


Posted By: Midget
Date Posted: 21 Nov 2010 at 6:14am
Hi everyone,

Ok so I am confused a little. If I apply for a relatives permit is that the same as a life partner permit and can i then get my relaties permit endorsed. I have been with my South african partner for 5 years although we are not married and i wish to join him next year and live and work in south africa, I am from new zealand i dont really have any high qualifications, i am a proffesional photographer. On a relatives permit would i need to prove that my employer needs me over another s.a citisen, or what visa may i apply for ??

Posted By: ImmigrationSA
Date Posted: 21 Nov 2010 at 8:27am
Hi Midget

No, a Spousal Permit and Life Partner Permit are types of Relative's Permit. If you have a straight Relative's Permit (i.e. you are the relative of a South African or SA Permanent Resident), you can only live in SA and can't get endorsements.

For you, a Life Partner Permit is a must. You can open a business and stay in your photography field. Interestingly, if you have been together for over 5 years, you can apply for Permanent Residency too.

However I am assuming that you live together. The DHA only accepts you if you co-habit and share financial responsibility. Email me if you want to proceed with this permit.

Best regards


Posted By: alancaires
Date Posted: 14 Dec 2010 at 12:16pm
Hi Jess,
Thanks for all your help on this thread, God bless you.
So as a spouse of a SAC, I complete form BI1738 form 8 Application for Temporary Residence Permit, and on page 1 tick the box for category of permit being applied for as "Relative's" AND then I complete Part O where firstly proof that the foreigner is an immediate member of the permanent resident would be my marriage certificate, and secondly the R5000 per month does not apply as I am a spouse, is that correct?
The general advice here seems to be that it' sufficient to state that my wife (a SAC) will be  supporting me emotionally and financially, and that I will be looking for work, and that I should buy a refundable open return flight ticket.
Finally, may I ask please, does form BI-1712A duly evidenced by a commissioner of oaths suffice rather than a notorial contract?
Many thanks.

Posted By: ImmigrationSA
Date Posted: 14 Dec 2010 at 1:42pm
Hi Alan

I love these hectically technical questions! :)

Please email me on I want to check with our Immigration Practitioners, as they fill in the forms on our clients' behalves.



Posted By: Midget
Date Posted: 21 Dec 2010 at 8:24am
Hy there you metnioned that you have a notorial contract draft in the forum last yeardo you have this and if so could you please sned it to me it would eb so helpful also did you need to get this signed in front of a lawyer or was a commisioner of oath ok ? Thank you so much your help is much aprreciated.

Kind regards

Posted By: peppe1971
Date Posted: 27 Dec 2010 at 4:02pm

I am an italian citizen immigrating in South Africa on a 'exceptional skills permit', while my domestic partner (she is italian as well) was granted a "Visitors Visa" with a note under the field 'Conditions', namely 'For visits of 36 months. TO ACCOMPANY PARTNER ON A WORK PERMIT'.

My questions are the following ones:

1) was she granted a 'Life Partner Permit'?

2) Is it possible to obtain an endorsement on the Visa she was granted in order to study or to work in South Africa?

I appreciate your kind advice very much.


Posted By: Elissa Davie
Date Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 7:17am
Hi Peppe

I work for Global Migration SA. You can visit our site and you are welcome to email me directly

1) From your description, I believe your life partner has been issued an Accompanying Spouse Visa.

2) A foreign national on an Accompanying Spouse Permit is not allowed to work or study in South Africa. If she wishes to work or study, she must apply for a work permit in her own right or a study permit. If she wished to do volunteer work, she would need to apply for a Volunteer Permit (but she is not allowed to be paid for volunteer work). As long as there are no restrictions on her current visa, she will be able to change to another permit from within South Africa.

You are welcome to send me a copy of her CV and I will assess whether she qualifies for a work permit. If you have concerns about her visa, you are also welcome to send it to me to check.

With best wishes,


Posted By: Anna
Date Posted: 03 Jan 2011 at 3:12pm
Hi all,

Thanks for all the brilliant advice you guys have posted and I think I've just about got my head around what I have to do to apply for the Life Partner Visa!

There's only one thing that I am still unsure of -- I have never lived with my SA partner & therefore I'm not sure if I'm eligible to apply for the visa in the UK?? Would I have to apply for the Life Partner visa after moving to SA and living there on a visitors visa for 6 months with my partner?



Posted By: jpgeorge
Date Posted: 03 Jan 2011 at 3:54pm
Dear Anna,

There is no requirement for how long you lived with your partner before applying for a life partner visa. However when I looked into the visa, it seemed near impossible to get this visa while living outside SA. I was told by an immigration agency that some South African consulates do not even recognize or issue life partner visas, and it did seem that way when I contacted the South African consulate in the US about the visa. Try contacting the nearest consulate and asking. As far as I know though, you need to be in South Africa living with your partner in order to get a life partner visa. Again, there is no time requirement for how long you lived together. I applied after just a week or so of living with my partner.

Good luck to you!



Posted By: Elissa Davie
Date Posted: 03 Jan 2011 at 3:56pm
Dear Anna

In order to apply for a SA Life Partner/SA Spouse Permit you must
either be married to your SA Spouse or have lived with your SA partner
for more than 6 months. If you are not married to your SA partner or
have not yet lived with your SA partner, you will need to do so. If
you are on a British passport, then you are visa exempt and will be
issued a 90 day visitor's permit on arrival in South Africa. You can
extend this ONCE from within South Africa to ensure you obtain a
further 90 days. This will give you 6 months to live together if you
do so from the moment you arrive. Before the extension expires you
should apply for your SA Life Partner Permit.

With best wishes,

Posted By: jpgeorge
Date Posted: 03 Jan 2011 at 4:05pm
Anna, just to repeat, I obtained a life partner permit within a few months of applying at Home Affairs in Pretoria, and when I submitted my application I had only lived with my South African partner for A WEEK OR TWO.

I am not sure where this 6 month requirement comes from - I did not hear about it, read about it, or have any problems and I did extensive research before moving to SA. If the requirement does exist, it is not enforced by Home Affairs. All that was required regarding living together was proof of cohabitation (rental agreement with both our names or bills to common address) and notarial contract (otherwise called cohabitation agreement).


Posted By: ImmigrationSA
Date Posted: 03 Jan 2011 at 6:07pm
Hi all

I also do not know where the 6 month requirement is from. Elissa, could you explain? I have heard of Home Affairs becoming very strict on LPPs specifically, and so it is perhaps risky not to apply if you have been together for only a week or two. But living together for a week or two is fine. Home Affairs requires once-off proof and is none the wiser as to when you started living in the same dwelling.

However, there is a difference between being together and living together. If you do not live together, even for religious reasons, Home Affairs will deny your application. Proof of cohabitation is essential.

Good luck, and let me know if you have further questions - feel free to email me directly and I can put you in touch with Life Partner Permit specialists who only deal with these permits daily.

Best regards


Posted By: Anna
Date Posted: 03 Jan 2011 at 6:19pm
Thanks for the advice, really appreciated! We'll be living together at his Mum's house first of all until we have enough money to move out, so it may be difficult to prove cohabitation, but I'm sure we can figure something out!

Thanks again,


Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.06 -
Copyright ©2001-2007 Web Wiz -